The Club was founded in 1969 by 19-year-old Murray Higgins, of Blockhouse Bay. The owner of a 1948 Mk IV, Murray placed an advertisement in the Public Notices section of the New Zealand Herald inviting Jaguar owners and enthusiasts to a meeting. The result on April 16 1969, was the formation of what is now known as the Jaguar Drivers' Club (Auckland) Inc.
The first event, on June 9 1969, was a fun rally and gymkhana, followed by lunch at the Puhoi Hotel (for the princely sum of $1.00 for adults and 50c for children) and an evening "get together" in the Architects' Clubrooms on Symonds Street.
The Club has grown steadily since its humble beginnings and is now one of the largest single-marque car clubs in Auckland. The Club's main aim is to foster interest in and promote owning, driving, maintaining and restoring Jaguar cars. To this end, a wide range of events are arranged on a monthly basis. Although some events are competitive, all are social and family and friends of members are welcome to join in.
Other important persons in the Club's (and Jaguar's) history are:
Frank Raymond "Lofty" England. Lofty, who managed Jaguar's successful competitions department in the 50's, was the Club's Patron until his death in 1995.
After Lofty Passed away the mantle of Patron went to Tom Walkinshaw and then Norman Dewis until his passing at the grand age of 98 on the 8th June 2019
Norman held this position for 21 years
Norm (as he was known) was Jaguar's chief Test Engineer from 1952 -1985.
The position of Club Patron has graciously been accepted by Ian Callum CBE FRSE
The Club's financial year is from August 1st to July 31st and the AGM is held in October/November.
Each major centre in NZ now has its own independent Jaguar car club, around 14 in all, ranging from the small with a dozen members through to Auckland with almost 500.
Simon CrispeMEMBERSHIP SECRETARY
Ian Callum CBE FRSE
Sue Jenness (Facebook Admin)
REGALIA and Facebook Admin
Magazine Editor & Web Master
Benefits of Membership
To be part of a group with like-minded interests, everyone appreciates Jaguar cars for their grace and pace and this in turn generates great camaraderie amongst all JDC members.
- To be included in a professional organisation that provides its members with technical expertise and provides an open forum for free exchange of information from fellow Club members and suppliers of Jaguar car services alike. Participation in a wide range of events organised by enthusiasts to enable you to gain maximum enjoyment in owning one of the world's great cars.
- The JDC is a friendly Club with a variety of technical and fun social activities for the whole family to enjoy.
- Free bi-monthly magazine bringing news and views on Jaguar items.
- Access to various specialised tools for loan.
- Extensive book, magazine & CD libraries.
- Discounts at various trade establishments, including preferential Insurance for your Classic Jaguar from Swann Insurance Club membership number must be supplied.
- NZ Fuels offer discounted fuel cards for Mobil, Caltex with Challenge, 'Z' and BP
- Club members need to contact Robin O'Connor for the link to qualify for the discount (See Member's Area for contact details)
Club Activities & Events
The Club arranges events for its members every month as advised in the Club magazine. Club days are usually held on a Sunday towards the end of the month. these are found on the EVENTS tab
Events can be broadly divided into three categories:
- Day trips
- Weekends away
- Concours d'Etat - download the Rules of this club competition here.